The lady with the dog

 

The Lady With the Dog- By Anton Chekhov (1899)

Rating:8/10

 

The first thing I thought of after reading the book was that it was very different from the story I first imagined when I saw the title. The more I read the story, the worse I thought of Gurov. He didn't seem to treat a woman as a single person, and I was disappointed when he ate a watermelon while his opponent was talking. I think the reason why Anna seemed attractive to Gurov is because unlike other women he met, Anna seemed ashamed of herself and the meeting between the two was suddenly cut off by Anna's husband. One thought came to my mind as I watched him coming to Anna, Anna promising him to visit Moscow again, and even lying to her husband. There may be people who think it would be the happiest for them to just meet from the beginning, but I think they were attracted to each other because of the situation of Gurov, who lives a dual life, and Anna, whose husband is away. Also, like a realism novel, I felt something new in them trying to find a way to secretly meet, not like other dramas ending with marrying, so I rated 8.

(200words)



댓글

  1. Well done. We definitely don't need to like Gurov to like this story. He does change, but we don't have to fully invest and believe that their risky relationship is worth pursuing or should be.

    답글삭제

댓글 쓰기

이 블로그의 인기 게시물

About James Joyce

Gooseberries-By Anton Checkhov

The Semplica-Girl Diaries- by George Saunders