The Dead-By James Joyce(1914)

 The Dead-By James Joyce(1914)

Rating:6/10


Two themes came to mind when I read 'The Dead'. The first is paralysis, which has been mentioned in previous stories. The song sung by one person at the end of the party reminds Gretta of a man she loved in the past. Gretta was paralyzed as she recalled the man she loved, Furey, facing death, and her husband Gabriel looked at such a wife and learned that it was because of the man she loved in the past. But I thought it wasn't just over here. Gabriel thought about himself at first, but it seems that this idea spread and made him think about his wife and even others.

I thought this was also connected to death. Starting with Furey's death, I thought maybe death would be similar to snow covering Ireland. Like the snow that slowly accumulates in the people there without going away, death may not seem like my job and it may seem like someone else's, but I thought it was not.

I think it was the longest story I've ever read. Personally, it was sad that death itself was not well realized and the atmosphere in the story was very different from now.(198 words)




댓글

이 블로그의 인기 게시물

About James Joyce

Gooseberries-By Anton Checkhov

The Semplica-Girl Diaries- by George Saunders